Monday, July 18, 2011

On the search for a job.

I finally dedicated myself to doing my resume/cover letter today.  It is annoying.  I don't enjoy it at all.  The most annoying part is that my experience kind of speaks for itself, 11 years in a nursing specialty area is just icing on the cake for units.  BUT, it has to GET to the unit manager.  It has to jump through all the annoying hoops of HR and pass all their wording tests.

I am just in search of a per diem (on call) shift with 2-4 shifts per month.  I do not want an actual FTE position (a certain number of hours per week).  I just want to keep my skills current, give myself an outlet, and the money is always nice.  Chris and I have worked very hard to enable me to not "have" to work, and instead, stay home with the kids..... but I just need that outlet.

I know that being a stay at home mom is the "most important job ever", but sometimes when all you do is yell, clean up bodily functions, and wash laundry, you don't feel very important or appreciated.  At my job I do (although I yell there too, clean up bodily functions too, and fool with linens.... so same job, different people!).  It just makes me feel like I am a contributing member of society, and since we have worked so hard to enable me to stay home, I can cater my work around our life, rather than my life around work.  I can go on vacations when we want to, I can ensure I won't miss my kids school production or sporting event.  It is a really really nice professional place to be in.

Also, I have this issue with being dependant on a man.  I never want to be in that position that some woman find themselves in... man leaves/passes away and they are stuck at home, 3 kids, no career, no training, and no money.  I worked hard at school to obtain my degree and worked even harder at work to obtain my experience, so I need to find ways to keep it current so if anything happens I can jump right in.

It feels so good to have the applications in.  Now to wait.  I don't want to start until mid-late September, however, I have many re-certification classes I have to attend before returning, so I am sure that can fill up my time!  (ACLS, NRP, BLS).

No comments:

Post a Comment