Tuesday, August 16, 2011

GYN appointment update....

So, as my committed followers know, I have been having some GYN problems. I finally made it to the Dr of whom I was referred, and Chris kindly went with me!  First, I must say, she was a delight..... I very much enjoyed meeting her.  She was really good about explaining everything in detail, but not "you are an idiot detail", I never felt rushed or dumb.  It was very refreshing.  (I must admit, I have always lucked out on physicians...... pediatricians, not always, but MY doctors, I have done well with! :-))

Anyway, she explained that nothing she saw sprung out at her as "do something now".  She felt we had a little time to research and decide what we want to do.  My choices were basically all for "comfort measures", since at this time I am not medically symptomatic from the hemorrhage session I embark in every 21 days.  But, since it decreases my "quality of life", I can do whatever I feel comfortable in doing at this time.  The choices are: (Along with my thoughts on each)
*Medications..... Birth Control Pills, Progesterone etc:  I feel I got my tubes tied for a reason---so I wouldn't have to deal with this crap anymore.... plus, I am knowingly/acceptingly not very compliant with medications.... so why try?
*IUD: Again, goes along with the above stated reason.... also, I have never mentally felt comfortable with the thought of an IUD.  I don't feel that there is anything wrong with it, but for me---I don't think I would welcome it.
*Ablation: This is probably the least invasive of the "acceptable" options..... however, because of my risk factors I have to be in the hospital, under general anesthesia, and this is possibly a temporary fix.  Maybe 2 years, 10 years, or forever..........but it won't be known until it proves itself.  However, this often will fix the "heavy bleeding" problems, if not halt them all together.  (YES!)  The recovery is seemingly easy and won't hold me down for too long.
*Hysterectomy:   This is, of course, very permanent.  Would fix all the problems.  BUT, it is major surgery.... again in the hospital and under general.  She also doesn't feel that due to the size of my uterus that a complete vaginal hysterectomy can be done, nor do they do the robotic surgery.... so it would be a laproscopic assisted Vaginal hysterectomy.  No big deal in my book----I have had 2 laproscopic surgeries, and have no issues.  The recovery is tolerable, and what are a few more "holes" (Scars) in my stretch mark ridden stomach?  The recovery is longer and impedes more on our daily life. Also, due to my age, and no issues, my ovaries would be left in, so no need replacement hormones! :-)!!!!

So, I guess the choices are between an ablation vs hysterectomy.  I think my major dilemma lies between temporary vs permanent (permanent wins), and quick recovery vs longer recovery (quick recovery wins)..... with our life as it is, and 3 young children, would getting an ablation now and if that doesn't fix the problem do a hysterectomy when they are older and are more self-sufficient?  Also, since the ablation will have to be done under a general anesthesia, should I just get the hysterectomy instead of risking another surgery....... under general again....... in the future?  Going under a general anesthesia is scarier to me than a hysterectomy.................... anesthesia and I are not really good friends.


So, that is where I am at as far as our decision.  I will let you know when we decide and the appointments for such dates!  Your input and opinions/suggestions are welcome.  Criticism, perhaps not so much :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment