Sunday, April 1, 2012

Lauren is testing her skills in Volleyball

I decided that it was about time that I quit being the lazy mom who didn't want to bus all her kids around to their various sporting events, and suck it up.... and do my job.

Lauren was signed up for Volleyball.  2 practices a week and games starting in a few weeks. Upon signing her up, they asked her age (not her grade) and therefore put her in the group with 3-4th graders.... which is fine (height wise), except for maturity and the fact that she had to ask me what volleyball was on the way there.  :-/

Sometimes my dearest daughter is a little stubborn.  She is really hard on herself, and therefore if she fails or feels unsure she, just doesn't do it.  This started when she was 2 and in gymnastics (mommy and me gymnastics and wouldn't do ANYTHING but scream!).  So, when I signed her up for volleyball, I was afraid of the same outcome.  Maybe not the screaming, but the decision to stand on the side lines and pout.  THEN, when I saw how old the girls were (one has boobs... OMG) and that they had all played before, I was really gearing up for my pep talk.

Then she got there.  She smiled.  She listened.  She tried and tried and tried.  It hit her in the face, and she kept trying.  I was WAY proud of her.  She exceeded my expectations!  I guess my baby girl is really growing up.  After the 2nd practice, however, she informed me that her arms hurt (from the ball slapping her inner arm) and so we obtained long sleeved thin-workout shirts to help with that!  Now, if only she wasn't sick for all of last weeks practices and this week is spring break...................

Come on Lauren you can do it!  I don't honestly care if she can play well or not, but the mere fact she is acting as a team player, not giving up, and occasionally does really well---makes me the proudest Mommy ever.


No comments:

Post a Comment